This month, the Inhouse Manager team give us their recipe for their sweet pink macaroons for valentines!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 9 mins
- 50g ground almonds
- 140g icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pink food colouring paste
- 3 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the ground almonds and icing sugar together into a large bowl. Put the egg whites into a separate bowl and using an electric hand whisk, beat to soft peaks. Add the caster sugar and whisk until glossy. Fold into the almond and icing sugar mixture, along with a tiny amount of the pink food colouring. Mix until just combined and evenly pink – the mixture will reduce as the air bubbles in the meringue burst.
- Put the mixture into a disposable piping bag, snip off 1cm from the end. Pipe small blobs (about 1 heaped teaspoon each) onto the baking paper, spaced apart, so you have about 50 in total. Set aside for 10 minutes until dry to touch – this is important as it gives the macaroons the correct texture. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the whole sheet of paper over – the macaroons will be stuck so won’t fall off. Bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Carefully peel off the baking paper from the macaroons, then sandwich 2 together with a tiny blob of strawberry jam in the centre. Repeat to give you 25 in total.