This month, the Inhouse Manager marketing team give us their recipe for one of their favourite desserts, apple pie. Perfect to make as the days get colder.
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Cooking time approx: 60 mins.
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g dark brown soft sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas mark 7. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, caster sugar and brown sugar, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Roll out the pastry to line the bottom of a 23cm (9 in) pie dish. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with strips of pastry to form a lattice design. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the pastry. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake the apple pie 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Continue baking the pie for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Serve apple pie with ice cream or custard.